Tuesday, February 19, 2013

good morning! breakfast burritos




Mornings.  I really do like them.  

I think it's because I've always been afraid I'm going to miss out on something if I ly around too long. In fact, when I'd want to have sleepovers growing up, Mom would only agree to it if I would pinky-swear promise that I wouldn't wake up my guests at the crack of dawn.  I was always so eager to see what the day had in store, it never dawned on me my friends wouldn't feel likewise.  So... I would begrudgingly stick to my promise.  But with every ounce of my being, I'd lay there thinking, "What a waste... sigh...".  


Now I'm nearly 38 with two school-aged children and having to get up at the crack of dawn.  My, how that changes one's perspective.

Actually, I'm still good with early rising, but I just can't get up quite early enough to get in everything I want to.  The alarm goes off some days at 4:45 and some days at 5:00, depending on the state of my hair the night before (short hair would be so much easier!).  To get myself ready, the boys all together, pack lunches, and prepare breakfast, it's all we can do to get out by our goal launch time of 6:40 without scratching each other's eyes out (not really... but those of you who are in the same boat know exactly what I'm talking about).  Thankfully, John is a huge help... huge.  

Needless to say, breakfast can be trying.  Because of our somewhat lengthy drive to school, we need to have options that are car-worthy.  

(Speaking of that, did you know one of the biggest indicators of child neglect is eating breakfast in the car?  Yep.  I read the article right after going back to work full time.  I've almost let go of that guilt.)

I have been mulling around a protein-centered grab-and-go idea for a while now, and it finally came together.  Within about 15 minutes on Saturday morning, I had six Good Morning! Breakfast Burritos made; four prepared and wrapped for the freezer, two we ate right away.  Cheap, healthy, flavorful, and fast.  


So... yesterday morning... Monday morning...  the mother of all mornings... I tested one.  I'll have you know:  requiring less than two minutes in the microwave, tasting as fresh as the day I made it, I was eating one successfully in the car by 6:42, and rocking out to Mandisa's, "Good Morning," with the boys.  And you know what?  We all still had our eyes.

Bingo.


Good Morning Breakfast Burritos - makes 6 
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 cup frozen diced veggie mix
  • 6 whole eggs
  • Splash of milk
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 cup cheese of choice
  • 6 flour tortillas of choice (pictured are soft low-carb, high fiber)
  • 2 tbsp. salsa
  • 2 tbsp. scallions, sliced (if desired)
~ Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in large non-stick pan until shimmering.  
~ Add veggies and sauté until softened, 5-7 minutes.
~ Remove veggies and place in a bowl.  Set aside.
~ Beat eggs in medium bowl along with milk and salt and pepper.
~ Wipe out pan and heat remaining olive oil until shimmering.
~ Pour beaten eggs into pan and continue scrambling until cooked through.
~ Add in cooked veggies and cheese, incorporating everything until veggies are heated and 
    cheese is melted.
~ Spread out tortilla in front of you.  Spoon 1/4 cup egg mixture evenly onto each tortilla's 
    edge closest to you.  Divide salsa evenly on top of the mixture or save to garnish if not 
    freezing.
~ As you roll the tortilla and filling away from you, fold in side edges and continue to roll 
    until closed. 
~ If freezing, wrap tightly in aluminum foil and freeze.  If serving, place on plates and 
    garnish with salsa and sliced scallions.

Recipe from the Lazy Daisy Kitchen.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!