Monday, November 14, 2016

ma's cornbread




Forever.  As much as I'd like it to, not much lasts that long.  Maybe that's why those few things that do are treasured so dearly.  This written recipe is one of them for me.  Although I've been eating it all my life, Ma just wrote it out a little over 16 years ago at my request.

I enjoy all kinds of cornbread, but Ma's Cornbread is most preferred.  With a buttery, tender crumb, it is my favorite alongside a bowl of beans and greens.  I remember the day she wrote this recipe down for me, we made a pan of it together.  I can still hear her strongly passing along two necessities needed in making it the best ever - a cast iron skillet and Hot! Hot! Hot! Crisco.  You can see on the recipe card:

"Hot Hot Hot Crisco." 

Word for word.  Just like that.



Ma's health is getting the best of her most days now.  She's written a couple of her dishes down for me, but I hope to get more from her.  It's a little tricky, because like many grandmas, she usually doesn't have a specific recipe.  It just comes from the heart along with a little of this and that.  You probably have a grandma just like that, too.  Aren't they the best?

You may want to try pairing this with my favorite chili, Ground Beef Chili, or this unique blend, Autumn Chicken Stew.   

Ma's Cornbread

makes one 10-inch pan
printable recipe
  • 1 cup yellow self-rising cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup Crisco
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.  

2. Place Crisco in cast iron skillet and place in oven while oven heats.

3. In the meantime, mix together all other ingredients and pour into skillet when Crisco is melted.

4. Cook 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

5. Let cool about five minutes, cut and serve.

Recipe from Ma. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!