It's finally the weather I've been waiting for, which begs for this cake. A delicious and moist ginger-laced cake filled with cream cheese icing. It has "Fall" written all over it.
I am fully ready for today. I am finishing up some curtains for our rec room, and maybe I'll paint the bathroom. I might whip up some soup I've been wanting to try, or maybe it'll get cool enough to have a fire, and I'll just plop myself down next to it and read the 99 magazines that have piled up on my nightstand over the last few months. No matter, I'm anticipating a little break from the "full steam ahead" we've been doing for a while now.
Of course, all of this will come after Luke's last football game for the season, which is bittersweet. I'm proud of him, I have to say. He's a little guy. He wanted to give tackle football a chance. He's played very little, but even standing in the heat and enduring long practices daily, he's had a big spirit of cheering and encouraging his team from the bench. A modern-day Barnabas, I've said, and for that, I couldn't be more pleased.
Happy Saturday to all. Lean into this fall day and soak up the moments that bring some peace and a recharge we all need. Brew up some coffee and give this cake a chance. I'm telling you, it will round out your weekend beautifully.
Apple-Ginger Cake2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup apple butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup peeled and chopped Honeycrisp apple
Buttery Cream Cheese frosting
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms with wax paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. in a large bowl, beat sugar and next 4 ingredients until smooth.
3. Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk in 3 additions. Beat 2 minutes. Fold in chopped apple. Divide between prepared pans.
4 Bake 27-30 minutes, until cake springs back when pressed lightly. Cool 10 minutes. Turn onto cooling rack, remove wax paper and cool completely.
5. Place one cake layer on a plate and frost top with half of the frosting. Add second layer and frost top with remaining frosting. Dust top with ground cinnamon.
1. Beat 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1 stick softened butter, 1/3 tsp vanilla extract and 1 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth.