Saturday, October 1, 2016

flavorFALL ~ apple-ginger cake




Finally.  

It's finally the weather I've been waiting for, which begs for this cake.  A delicious and moist ginger-laced cake filled with cream cheese icing.  It has "Fall" written all over it.

I am fully ready for today.  I am finishing up some curtains for our rec room, and maybe I'll paint the bathroom.  I might whip up some soup I've been wanting to try, or maybe it'll get cool enough to have a fire, and I'll just plop myself down next to it and read the 99 magazines that have piled up on my nightstand over the last few months.  No matter, I'm anticipating a little break from the "full steam ahead" we've been doing for a while now.  

Of course, all of this will come after Luke's last football game for the season, which is bittersweet.  I'm proud of him, I have to say.  He's a little guy.  He wanted to give tackle football a chance.  He's played very little, but even standing in the heat and enduring long practices daily, he's had a big spirit of cheering and encouraging his team from the bench.  A modern-day Barnabas, I've said, and for that, I couldn't be more pleased.     

Happy Saturday to all.  Lean into this fall day and soak up the moments that bring some peace and a recharge we all need.  Brew up some coffee and give this cake a chance.  I'm telling you, it will round out your weekend beautifully.

Apple-Ginger Cake

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup apple butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup peeled and chopped Honeycrisp apple
Buttery Cream Cheese frosting

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.  Line bottoms with wax paper; coat paper with cooking spray.

2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients.  in a large bowl, beat sugar and next 4 ingredients until smooth.

3. Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk in 3 additions.  Beat 2 minutes.  Fold in chopped apple.  Divide between prepared pans.

4 Bake 27-30 minutes, until cake springs back when pressed lightly.  Cool 10 minutes.  Turn onto cooling rack, remove wax paper and cool completely.

5. Place one cake layer on a plate and frost top with half of the frosting.  Add second layer and frost top with remaining frosting.  Dust top with ground cinnamon.

Frosting

1. Beat 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1 stick softened butter, 1/3 tsp vanilla extract and 1 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!