Monday, January 21, 2013

lazy daisy fruit salad




"A fresh start."  Those are the words that come to mind when I see this picture.

I actually made this fruit salad on New Year's Day to go along with our gingerbread waffles and bacon.  It's nothing fancy whatsoever, but it's much better than canned and a step up from just a bunch of cut fruit stirred together.  I wanted to come up with some kind of thickened sauce, but I didn't want to take away from the nutritional value of the fresh ingredients by adding in a bunch of sweeteners.  This was the result, and I think you'll like it!

I know Mondays are tough, but I try to think of them as a new beginning, taking what inspired me during Sunday worship and working to put it into practice.  It's a chance to try again... wipe the slate clean... rethink what might have seemed impossible the week before.

So here's to Monday.  A new day to a new week.  One more beginning to work towards a great ending.    

A fresh start...


Make the best of it!

Lazy Daisy Fruit Salad - makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
  • 2 bananas, sliced
  • 1 cup red grapes, halved
  • 2 cups fresh (or canned, drained) pineapple chunks
  • 1 15 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. powdered sugar
~ Prepare and mix together all fruit in large bowl and set aside.
~ Whisk together orange juice, cornstarch, lemon juice and sugar in measuring bowl.  
~ Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring between each until thickened.
~ Chill mixture until cool.
~ Pour mixture over the fruit and stir.  

Tips and Tricks:
  • I can definitely see this with fresh or frozen strawberries, peaches, mangoes... it would be beautiful with pomegranate seeds and garnished with fresh mint.  Experiment to your heart's desire!
  • To speed up the chilling process of the juice mixture, place the bowl in the freezer about 15 minutes.  Stir before pouring over the fruit.


2 comments:

  1. I made this over the weekend and while it tasted delicious, I'm not sure I got the sauce thickened correctly. How many cycles of 20 sec. in the microwave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dawn! Glad you asked this, because it made me realize I posted 1 1/2 cups juice rather than the intended 1. I've updated it. Regarding the amount of time, it probably varies with microwaves. I've found the sauce can quickly go from not quite thickened to boiling in a matter of seconds. It usually takes a total of 2 or 2 1/2 minutes in my microwave. One could just set it for that and stop it every so often to stir and test. Just keep an eye on it. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Leave a comment!