Saturday, November 3, 2012

SOUPer saturdays - butternut squash soup




I really do find recipes that call for butternut squash, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin fascinating.  Chances are, you can exchange them one for another without fail.  Such is the case with this recipe.

Way back when John and I first married, I began my obsessive compulsion with collecting recipes.  It didn't matter if they were in the weekly paper, a magazine, on the pasta box, or under the lid of a food container.  I could not convince myself to throw many, if any, away.  John has finally quit questioning my intentions.  I guess after 15 years, he realizes it's futile.

This recipe was inspired by one of those treasures I stumbled upon when peeling back the seal to a yogurt container.  It originally called for sweet potatoes, but butternut squash is all I had on hand, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I have included pictures of the squash-roasting process if you are like me in earlier days and haven't a clue as to what to do with the super-cool thing.  For years, I didn't know one could do anything with it but decorate. Boy.  Had I missed out, or what?

I can't imagine a soup being any healthier than this one.  And it is wonderfully filling.  On these evenings with dipping temps, I don't know that there's a better answer for dinner (and a couple of lunches following).

Enjoy and Happy November!


Begin with an approximate 2 lb squash.

Cut in half and remove seeds with spoon.

Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.  

Lay cut side down on foil-lined baking sheet.  Bake at 400 until tender and sides are browned.

Butternut Squash Soup - makes 10-12 servings
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 large sweet onion, sliced
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 cups butternut squash, roasted
  • 1  1/2 qt. chicken broth
  • 1  3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 2  tbsp. cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup nuts, toasted (optional)
~ In a soup pot, heat oil and sauté' onions and cumin 3-4 minutes. 
~ Add squash and broth, bringing all to a boil.
~ Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
~ Puree soup with yogurt and cilantro.  I use my hand blender, but a regular one would also
    work.
~ Sprinkle servings with toasted nuts, if desired.
  • Plain regular yogurt can be substituted for the Greek variety.

  • I used toasted walnuts for the pictured soup, but I have also used toasted pumpkin seeds and other nuts.  Experiment to find your preference.

Recipe inspired by Dannon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!