Saturday, July 7, 2012

summer in the south saturdays - pimento cheese



As I've been considering all of the recipes and ideas I'd like to share with any readers who stop by, I have quickly come to realize I think in themes.  With that being said, I decided for the next few weeks I'd present Summer in the South Saturdays.  I think it will be a great way to express my love for all tastes summer and southern.  

There is a wonderful place to eat here in Nashville, The Picnic Cafe'.  It is as much about the environment for me as the food.  The Picnic is old southern charm at its best and was introduced to me by my good friend, and former boss, Judi, years ago.  It is because of her and places like The Picnic that I have learned to fall in love with transferware, tea rooms, and those flavorful and nostalgic dishes that only the south can do.

At the top of my summer-in-the-south list is Pimento Cheese.  It can be simple or dressed up, a quick grab for lunch, or easily transformed into an elegant addition for any formal spread.  Most recently, I've been using two parts Medium Cheddar to one part Monterey Jack.  The cheese combinations that can be used are numerous, so don't be afraid to have fun and experiment!  I have done all kinds of things to the mixture, but for now this recipe is my favorite way to eat it.    

Next week... who knows?

Pimento Cheese - makes approximately two cups
Ingredients:
  • 12 oz. cheese (I prefer 8 oz. Medium Cheddar and 4 oz. Monterey Jack)
  • 1/3 cup real mayonnaise 
  • 4 oz. jar pimentos, drained
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbsp. green onions, sliced
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • dash of hot sauce
~ In medium bowl, shred cheese on box grater.  Mix in remaining ingredients and serve on 
    bread of choice.  
~ My favorite way to enjoy:  Heat Heavenly Yeast Rolls, remove from oven, and fill 
    immediately with spread.  Mixture will become slightly softened goodness.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen
     





  


4 comments:

  1. Perfect timing - Leslie's husband to be has requested pimneto cheese sandwiches at some point on their wedding week-end; it is a favorite of his (mine too) but I have never made it before. This looks like a wonderful and easy recipe. I will be taste testing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like it, Joan! I could eat my weight in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made it for lunch today. All I can say is...Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!