Wednesday, January 30, 2013

heavenly yeast rolls - a lazy daisy favorite





These are so good... so, so good.  And not only are they really tasty, but they are no-fail and easily frozen for later.  I love them because the size can be adjusted effortlessly, depending on your needs.

Way back in the summer I posted my pimento cheese recipe promising I would share my yeast roll recipe in the future.  But I have quickly learned with blogging that there are multiple ideas forever rolling around in my head, hoping to be posted, and...  well... I sometimes forget my promises.  It wasn't until a few days ago my friend reminded me.  So, here it is!

These are wonderful filled with spreads, chicken salad, bacon or sausage, butter... Oh - and they're perfect to make hot ham and cheese rolls... Recipe on that to come, by the way. 

(Promise.)  

I use 3 tablespoons of sugar.  But you could certainly add one more for a bit more yeasty, sugary flair. There are so many things you can do with this simple recipe.

With the big Super Bowl coming up in a few, you might want to use the rolls to sandwich in a slider or two - maybe a baby burger or some BBQ topped with a spoonful of vinegar slaw... mmm-hmm!

I hope you'll find a moment to give these a try.  Why not make a double-batch?  After baking, tightly wrap the extra to stow away in the freezer for another time.  Once you remove, just loosely cover in foil and bake on 350 until heated through.  It couldn't be easier and will taste like the first day you made 'em.

Enjoy!



Heavenly Yeast Rolls - makes 2 8x8 pans
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 tbsp. yeast
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 4 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 4 cups bread flour
~ Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.  Let sit until foamy; about 5 minutes.
~ With dough hook, mix in salt, butter, and flour until fully incorporated.  Continue to mix 
    about 10 minutes (or you can remove the flour and knead by hand a fully twenty minutes;
    MAJOR triceps workout!)
~ Remove dough and place on lightly floured surface, kneading 10 more minutes (if you
    kneaded the first 10 with the hook) until smooth and elastic.
~ Place dough in large, lightly greased bowl, turning once to cover the top.  Cover and let
    rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
~ Uncover dough and punch down. 
~ Pull off pieces of dough according to your desired size.  For the rolls pictured, I pulled an 
    approximate large tablespoon and rolled into a ball.
~ Place in a greased pan/s, one inch apart.  For this batch, I used an 8x8 pan and fit 25.
~ Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
~ Bake at 375 about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.

Recipe slightly adapted from Tasty Kitchen.
















2 comments:

  1. Hi! Do you have a recommendation for kneading time without a dough hook? I'm tryin'!!! but this girl has no dough hook. And I am still trying to make the perfect roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to this recipe, about 20 minutes is recommended. I know. It's a lot of work. For fully-developed gluten (which gives your bread nice body and texture), you want a smooth, slightly tacky feel to the dough. Many times, the "poke test" is also a good indicator as to if your dough is ready. Press two fingers into the dough. If the dimples quickly fill, you should be good to to. If not, more kneading is... well... needed! Depending on the kind of dough you're kneading, the rise time called for, etc., knead time can vary. The best suggestion I can give is trial and error. I've certainly had my share of failures, but they gave me the best information for success the next time. By all means, share your findings when you get a chance. You've definitely got me wondering now... I might give these a hand-knead the next time I make 'em and report myself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!