Friday, January 22, 2016

SOUP-er Saturday (a day early) ~ Layered Herby Stew




I know it's only Friday, but here in Nashville there's a good chance of snow that might very well hang around for a while.  I wanted to make sure anyone in the area, or those elsewhere with a similar forecast, could make it to the store for this SOUP-er Saturday recipe's ingredients before it's too late.

I don't know that there's a more perfect pot of stew for the coming weather than this one.  I remember when I first made it, early in our marriage, I had very, very little cooking experience.  I, for the life of me, had no idea why in the world it would call for tapioca.  Up until that point in my life, tapioca was what I loved to get on the salad bar at Bonanza when I was six years old.  What would it be doing in beef stew!?!?  Actually, now that I think about it, that may have been the only reason I tried this recipe; it made for a great experiment!  But I promise you, for those of you who don't cook a lot, you will not end up with pudding.  The tapioca just gives it a little body, and all of the herbs drown it in whole lot of flavor!

I'm telling you... this couldn't be any easier!  Just layer all the ingredients in the crock, turn it on, and a few hours later you'll have a really healthy and satisfying meal.  I've tried a ton of beef stew recipes, this has been my go-to for years.

It is definitely cold outside, but this SOUP-er Saturday Friday meal will warm it up perfectly.  You have my word.

Layered Herby Stew

makes 6-8 large servings

  • 2 1/2 lbs lean beef chuck, cubed
  • 1 medium to large onion, cut in 1-inch pieces
  • 8-12 small red potatoes, halved 
  • 4-6 carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces or one small bag of baby carrots
  • 2 large celery ribs, cut in 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tbsp Worcesterchire sauce
  • 1/4 cup red wine, or water
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 tbsp minute tapioca (only 5 if using water instead of red wine)
  • 28-oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Layer all the ingredients in the crock pot in the order they are given.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

2. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!