Wednesday, December 30, 2015

grandma puryear's punch




I believe, with all my heart, this recipe is worth a close up and personal picture.  I wanted to make sure you could see all of the goodness that goes into this small, yet powerful, cup.  Just look at it... isn't it beautiful?  It's perfectly blended, with a little slush, a little fizz and a whole lotta "shut-the-front-door" flavor.

My fascination with this drink all started about 20 years ago when I attended my first Christmas with John's family.  His grandmother had set up a table to hold what I would come to understand is the crown jewel of her food and beverage options, and there was a line to get to it.  No joke.  It was a little bit like a mad rush to snag a ladle full, but I didn't understand the why behind the mass appeal until I had it myself.

I'll never forget it.

To say I love this stuff is a grave understatement.  Although it takes a bit of planning, due to the necessary freeze time, it is so, so worth it.  And if you decide to take it to an upcoming New Year's Eve party, as I've done multiple times, you - without a doubt - will be a rock star.

Just a few ingredients and an overnight freeze, folks.  Come on... It's time to get the party started!

Grandma Puryear's Punch

makes 50 cups
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 46-oz can orange juice
  • 1 46-oz can pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 0.6-oz package Jello (we use strawberry)
  • 2 liters ginger ale
1. Bring sugar and water to boil.  Remove from heat.

2. Add orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice and Jello.  Stir until mixed and Jello is dissolved.

3. Freeze in containers overnight.  One to two hours before serving, remove from freezer.

4. Add ginger ale at time of serving and let sit a few minutes.  Use ladle and scrape to produce slush to add in with ladled liquid.  

Recipe from Grandma Puryear.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!