Monday, October 21, 2013

"in a pinch" peach pie filling (using canned peaches)




I tried... I really did.  I made several attempts to buy nice, ripe, sweet peaches this year and not a single time did I find good ones.  Several times this summer, I'd set myself up for pure bliss, take one bite, and toss the whole thing.  Foo. One of my favorite June, July, and August delights fell unusually short.  

Was it just me and poor peach-pickin' skills, or is there anyone else out there who found the crops less than desirable?

So a little over a week ago, I pulled a large can of peaches (yes... I said can), off the pantry shelf and was bound and determined to come up with a wonderfully flavored something.

Boy, was I pleased.  Not only did the pie filling turn out as I'd hoped, but what I used it for next was... well... you'll have to wait and see in an upcoming post.  Wow.

I love that I've discovered this recipe.  Now, no matter the time of year (or quality of the fruit), I can enjoy homemade filling at half the price.  

In season or not, canned is grand!

Peach Pie Filling (using canned peaches)
Ingredients:

  • 29-oz can peaches in syrup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
~ Drain peaches reserving 1/3 cup syrup.  Set aside.

~ In saucepan, mix together sugar, butter, flour, nutmeg, and salt.  Add syrup.

~ Cook over medium heat until mixture is bubbling and thick, stirring constantly. 

~ Remove from heat and add lemon juice, vanilla, and peaches.  Stir until combined.  Allow
    to cool and use for preferred recipe. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!