Friday, June 28, 2013

cooking light, cooking right - 20-minute chicken enchiladas




I promised you I would share the recipe in which I used the homemade corn tortillas I posted about earlier this week, and here it is, folks...

...20-Minute Chicken Enchiladas!

No joke.  They come together ever-so-fast, but only if you have the tortillas pre-made.  The original recipe called for just 6-inch tortillas, so obviously the 20 minutes doesn't include the prep time for the tortillas, should you try to go the homemade route.  And please try.  If not now, the next time.

Promise?

In wonderful Cooking Light fashion, this delightful recipe is lightened up considerably without forfeiting an ounce of flavor.  In fact, the sauce will most certainly be my go-to enchilada sauce from now on.  It lacks nothing.

The biggest thing I changed from the original recipe was the amount of cheese I used.  I have no idea whether or not the 3/4 cup is enough or not, because when it comes to cheese, I say, "Why not round up?"

So, I did. 

A cup it was.  And that was wonderful!  But for those wanting to stick close to the proclaimed 374 calories and 100 mg cholesterol, per serving - which is considered two enchiladas and a tablespoon of sour cream, according to the recipe - then keep the cheese to about 3 ounces shredded.  I'm sure it's fine.

I guess.  

I mean, if that's what you r-e-e-ally want to do and all.

John and I put away this entire dish in two days.  I don't know about you, but nothing does my early morning mood-state better than opening up the fridge and remembering at least two lunches are already prepped to go.  

This made the best leftovers!

We're having a friend stay with us for the next week.  Mix that in with several youth group events we're heading up and a holiday, I'm not sure how much blogging will take place.  I will do my best to post a thing or two before the week's over, but in the meantime, have a wonderful weekend and happy tortilla-making!

You promised, right?



20-Minute Chicken Enchiladas
makes one 9x13 pan
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted tomato sauce
  • 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast
  • 1 (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
  • 1 cup chopped tomato
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 6 tbsp sour cream, optional
~ Preheat broiler to high.
~ Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; stir with a whisk.
~ Bring to a boil over high heat; cook 2 minutes or until thickened.
~ Reserve 1 1/2 cups sauce mixture.
~ Add chicken and beans to pan; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.
~ Stack tortillas; wrap stack in damp paper towels and microwave at HIGH for 25 seconds.
~ Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; roll up.  
~ Arranged tortillas, seam sides down, in bottom of 9x13 glass or ceramic baking dish
    coated with cooking spray. 
~ Top with reserved sauce and cheese.
~ Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly.
~ Top with tomato and cilantro; serve with sour cream, if desired.

Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light - July 2013 Issue







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!