Monday, December 31, 2012

maple chai




I cannot lie.  There is so much build-up and excitement with the coming of the holidays, I get a little down once they pass.  I try to delight in the peace that follows.  Our culture is really not good at that, and neither am I.  So, I try to relish in the thought of building fires during these colder weeks, drinking hot _________ (fill in the blank; I love it all!), and loving on my boys... not to mention soaking in every word of new cookbooks and the January and February magazine editions I receive.  In fact, as I was setting up the photo for this newest recipe, I thought it became a perfect picture of what I will be doing in my spare time until Spring arrives.

I discovered Chai years ago when a friend of mine brought some back from DC.  She had gone to visit her family and returned with the gift.  It was love at first sip.  I had never seen it around here, nor heard of it. Now, it can be found anywhere.

But I am not the only Chai lover in the family.  John is a big-time convert.  If we find a moment to stop by a Starbucks, it's a Chai Tea Latte for him every time.  That might change now that we can whip up a great rendition here... one he says is just as good.  And I probably don't have to tell you, it is WAY cheaper!

Please take 10 minutes and try this out.  A wonderful mixture of spices... cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, cloves... You could have this steaming in no time and enjoying the peaceful moments that our society rarely appreciates.  Pull your loved ones close and breathe.  You'll be so glad you did.

Happy New Year's Eve!

Maple Chai - 
makes 2 mug-sized servings or 4 teacups
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 chai tea bags (I love Celestial Seasonings)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • Grated fresh nutmeg, optional
~ In small saucepan, heat milk to just boiling.
~ Add tea bags and steep 10 minutes.
~ Stir in maple syrup.
~ Grate nutmeg over poured drink.

Slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!