Thursday, August 30, 2012

on the side - simple grilled golden zucchini




Simple.

Why are we never comfortable or content with simple?  Why is it we can have it so good with "easy," and yet we still find ourselves going and trying to make it harder?  We have this urge to make things bigger, seemingly better, more impressive to others, more acceptable to ourselves, and why?

Why?

Ugh.  It's just been one of those "seasons of life," and today, I want simple back.

I thought this would be a great recipe to express how I'm obviously feeling.  To tell you the truth, this is so simple, I'm almost embarrassed to actually put it on this blog and pretend it's a post.

See?  There I go again.

Simple is OK... simple is OK... simple is OK... (I'm trying to convince myself, here.)

I'm a big fan of charcoal.  I really love the smell, and I love the flavor even more.  I grew up with charcoal grills and a dad who loved them too.  Many-a-Sundays, that smell would be lingering on Dad's clothes from firing up the grill after church.  To this day, it's just one of those feel-good memories.

You might remember my mention of the farmer's market visit I made a couple of weeks ago.  The Golden Zucchini was beautiful, as you may also remember from the pic I shared.  I was interested in keeping it's color and mild flavor as uninterrupted as possible, so I just drizzled the 1/4 inch slices (longways) with a little olive oil and added a few pinches of coarse Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.  I gave them a couple of minutes on the grill, per side, and the dish was complete.  We ate it alongside marinated grilled pork chops and the lemon herb rice salad recently posted.


This is really one of my favorite ways of eating vegetables, and we've done it to everything from asparagus to eggplant to... get this... Romaine lettuce!

No joke.  You gotta try it someday.

So, there you have it.  No fluff.  No frills.  Not even an official "recipe."  Simple?  You bet.  And you know what... I'm OK with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!