Tuesday, July 2, 2013

sautéed mushrooms



I warned you in my last entry that I might not get a chance to do too much this week in the way of posting recipes.  I was so right about my prediction of the anticipated (very) busy days.  It's all good, though.  Between youth events and attending Summer Celebration at my alma mater, I feel like I've been to church camp on steroids since Saturday morning.  

Spending moments in extreme awe of God's creation on top of a mountain....



Enjoying the wonderful company and spiritual discussions with this week's houseguest and dear friend, Kendra...



And I've gathered with my family to worship and praise in song for the last two nights with hundreds of believers.  Absolutely extraordinary.  Tune in tomorrow evening if you want to hear just a taste of what we've experienced.   

Video streaming by Ustream
I thought I might do a quick post of one of my favorite, easy sides to any grilled meal.  In light of the upcoming 4th, and to offer just a suggestion for one way to amp up the flavor factor with whatever you're preparing to throw on the charcoal or over the flame come Thursday, I want to highly encourage you to try these sautéed mushrooms.  

I don't remember exactly when I had these the first time, but I distinctly remember proudly ordering them around six or seven years of age when we'd take a Friday or Saturday night jaunt to Bonanza or Ponderosa.  

Mmm-hmm.  You heard me.  Can I get a big shout out for the 80's steakhouse?!?!?  Complete with the red plastic cups and 99 cent refills, baby.  We were big time!

I could eat my weight in those mushrooms, and so I've reinvented my own version.  It's really a to-taste kind of thing, but I'll do my best to get you "officially" there. 


Sautéed Mushrooms
Ingredients:
  • 8 oz package mushrooms (I love baby bells), sliced thick
  • 1-2 tbsp butter
  • 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire
  • splash of red cooking wine
  • chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, optional
~ Heat skillet over medium-high on stove or place cast iron skillet on heated grates if using 
    grill.
~ Melt butter in pan until foaming.  Add mushrooms.
~ Stir mushrooms, sautéing until slightly softened but not shriveled.
~ Stir in Worcestershire and cook about 30 seconds more.
~ Add wine and swirl around pan, being sure to scrape up any browned bits on bottom.  
   Let cook until thickening begins.  
~ Throw in chopped herbs, if using, and adjust taste as needed.  
~ Serve to the side or atop burger or steak.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!