Wednesday, January 9, 2013

spinach artichoke dip





I'm not sure how many times football has been mentioned in my posts, but I'd venture to say it's been a good number.  I really look forward to the season every year, and our family has come to have so many teams to root for...  Daniel's and Luke's rec leagues, the Lipscomb Mustangs (thanks, Kay), John's McGavock Raiders, the Titans (whose stadium we can ride our bikes to, if we wish), the Colts (because that's our home town), Daniel's favorite college team, the Oregon Ducks (super-cool uniforms), and Luke's own, LSU Tigers (it's all about "THE eye").

I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple.

Of course, we all know the football event of all football events is the infamous Superbowl.  And where there is a Superbowl gathering, there is... you guessed it... food.

So I thought in honor of the play-off games and big day to come, I might share a couple of my top party food items with you.  This one, in particular?  A touchdown all the way, terribly easy, and really, really good.

Really.  Good.

I have been making this for 15 years and have never found a need to alter it, although I guess it might be more interesting to add some things here and there.  But, honestly, I like this better simple.  Spinach and artichokes don't really have a huge flavor, so I think the additional ingredients help them shine without overpowering them.


My friend, Judi, shared this recipe with me and would always serve it with the Hint of Lime Tostitos tortilla chips.  Or you might want to try serving it up in a bread bowl with cubed bread.  Crackers work.  I'm tellin' ya, folks... it's a winner all the way around!

Five ingredients, a gathering of friends, a cozy house...

When's kickoff?!?

Spinach Artichoke Dip - fills a two-quart dish
Ingredients:
  • 2 jars oil-packed artichokes, chopped to your liking
  • 2 packages frozen creamed spinach
  • 2 cups Helmann's real mayonnaise 
  • 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
  • chips, bread, crackers of choice
~ Heat oven to 350 degrees.
~ Cook spinach in microwave according to package directions, or until completed thawed.
~ Mix artichokes, spinach, mayonnaise, and one cup of cheese in large bowl.
~ Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
~ Cook at 350 degrees until bubbly and slightly brown, about 45 minutes.
~ Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over top of dip.
~ Bake approximately 10 minutes until cheese is bubbling and slightly golden, or broil for a 
    couple of minutes, watching closely not to burn.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!