Tuesday, August 27, 2013

apple cider pork tenderloin



Five more days and we are officially out of our house.  It looks like a small tornado has been through it, but I can sort of, kind of, see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Having survived the last 72 hours, I am thankful for two things:  

1. my hard-working, never-complaining husband
2. and my crock pot.  

How would a girl ever do without either?

I have made this recipe twice in the last ten days.  Served with a side of green beans and corn pudding, it is such an appetite-pleaser, mark my words.  And there is so much you can do with the leftovers (on the off chance you even have any), it's worth doing.  Especially during the busier seasons of life.  

I'm pretty doggone sure that's the season we're in right now.

I'm so eager to get cooking and experimenting again once we're settled.  Saturday evening I began packing up my kitchen and lamenting the indefinite amount of time I'll be without some of those things that seem indispensable.  Storage is going to be tight in our temporary place, so I'm really having to be strategic about the kitchen, in particular.  Without a doubt, the Keurig, Kitchenaid stand mixer, and my Ninja is going with me.  Oh, and I can't forget a large stock pot, skillet, and - of course - the crock pot.  Well, and I have to toss in the ice cream maker that, now that I think about it, should have been #3 on my list above.  Sigh...  Decisions, decisions.  Ah, well... five more days to decide on all of that.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying me some Apple Cider Pork Tenderloin and calling it a day.  Come on and join me!



Apple Cider Pork Tenderloin
makes six servings
  • 3 pound pork tenderloin
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2-3 cored and sliced apples
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cup apple juice (maybe more)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
~ Sprinkle loin lightly with salt and let sit at least 10-15 minutes.
~ Place onions and apples on bottom of crock pot. 
~ Place loin on top of onions and apples.
~ In mixing bowl, stir together sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, garlic, cranberries and black 
    pepper, to taste.  Pour over loin.
~ Cook on low 7-9 hours.  Remove from crock and wrap loosely in foil.
~ Pour juices into saucepan and simmer until slightly thickened.  Serve over meat.

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fine recipe that I may have to play with in my cast iron dutch oven. I sure like the set and forget of crockpots. I don't use ours enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to be a part of the tasting party, should you try it in the dutch oven!

      Delete

Leave a comment!