Saturday, July 14, 2012

summer in the south saturdays - ginger tea




The Puffy Muffin.  Have you ever been?  If not, you need to go now.  It's a staple in Middle Tennessee... Brentwood, to be exact, and it is always packed!

My friend Jenny and I would go for nearly every special occasion.  That was years ago before there were five children between us, not to mention her family's move to Searcy.  Now I never ever see her ever...  EVER.  


But I'm not bitter or anything.


We've joked before that someday we will get together and go back when all the children are grown and graduated.  By then, I hope we can even remember how to get to the Puffy Muffin.


Jenny and I had our favorite meals we'd order, and we never, ever went without Ginger Tea. I'm not sure I'd ever even heard of tea punch, or any other tea outside of Lipton's, until I moved south.  It is one of the greats of all the southern specialties, and most definitely screams summer. Find yourself some mint to top it off and a comfy rocker on a front porch.  I guarantee you, there's nothing better!


Ginger Tea - makes one gallon
Ingredients:
  • 3 heaping Tblsp. instant tea (plain, no sugar, no lemon) 
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 
  • 6 cups warm water 
  • 2 cups orange juice 
  • 6 ounce can frozen limeade 
  • 2 liters ginger ale (or enough to make one gallon) 
  • 1 bunch mint sprigs, optional
~  Combine the instant tea, sugar, and water. Stir well to ensure the water is dissolved. 
~  Add the orange juice and limeade. 
~  Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, add enough ginger ale to make one 
     gallon.
~  Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.

Recipe from the Puffy Muffin Cookbook


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!