Wednesday, December 17, 2014

over-the-top pumpkin waffles




I have not yet tired of pumpkin this season at all.  I'll admit it.  Some years I do.  I don't know what is different this year.  Maybe I haven't had as much of it, or maybe I'm just changing in my preferences, but I'm still drawn to it even half-way through December.  

I know I've mentioned on the blog how much our family loves breakfast, and we really love it on a Saturday morning.  It's so nice to lazily begin the day in my dilapidated well-loved moccasins and pj's, hair in a top-knot and drinking a mug of coffee while playing around with whatever is in the fridge or pantry.  There's rarely a plan on Saturdays.  

Actually, there's rarely a plan any day, but I digress.  

Anyway… especially Saturdays, everyone has to go with the flow when it comes to meals.  

So when I decided to do pumpkin waffles a while back, and then while digging through the freezer stumbled upon some Pumpkin Maple Swirl Butter and Honey-Glazed Pecans, my typical lazy approach to breakfast suddenly switched into high gear.  I couldn't WAIT to try all of these flavors together and found myself describing them upon first bite as "over the top."  Each square indention of the waffle held the melted butter, syrup and pieces of pecans beautifully.  Every single bite was a joy.  

So, I suppose I just answered my own question regarding my continued interest in pumpkin well into December.  Seriously.  I say with recipes like this one, here's to pumpkin 'til May!

Over-the-Top Pumpkin Waffles
makes 4-5 servings

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin, pureed (or 1 can pumpkin)
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter
  • Honey-Glazed Pecans for topping waffles
  • Pumpkin Maple Swirl Butter
~ Heat waffle iron according to directions.

~ In large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients until fully incorporated.  

~ In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar, adding in puree, yogurt, milk and 
    butter.

~ Pour pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients, stirring gently with rubber spatula just until 
    combined.  

~ Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into batter.

~  Spoon onto heated and greased waffle iron.  Keep warm in 250 degree oven, directly on 
    rack until ready to serve.

~ Plate topped with pecans, butter and syrup as desired.

Waffle recipe from the Food Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!