Thursday, June 19, 2014

easy-peasy chicken salad and an update





I have a secret.

Sometimes, I rush into the kitchen after getting home from work, and while the kids are busy playing, I throw together a super-quick meal for just John and me so we can eat in peace.

[gasp]

But hear me out.  

Now that we ride all together to and from school most days, if the journey home is long and drawn-out,  full of traffic, feisty with sibling dispute, loud with everyone talking over each other to tell their most pressing needs, I just… well… hide food from my kids.

I know.  It's bad isn't it.

But is it really that terrible?

Plus, I usually do a salad, because (in my mind) a big fancy, schmancy salad my 9 and 11-year-old do not want.

Well.  I don't ask them if they do.  But I'm pretty sure they don't.

So… as was this meal a couple of weeks ago.  A mix of lightly dressed baby lettuces topped with my Easy-Peasy Chicken Salad, a sprinkle of sliced almonds, a side of sharp cheddar and a piece of toasted Italian Easter Bread from the freezer.  All done within minutes.  All done without children.  And I'm fairly certain John and I didn't say a word following his prayer.

Quiet is way underestimated.

As for my veggie re-growing update, I can definitely say the experiment has been a great success thus far.  A little over a week into it, and the celery stalks are emerging (although I only left the leaves to show when I planted) and the green onions… well… take a look for yourself. Unbelievable.  I spend about $4 on the both of these combined when purchasing at the store. Considering our family has been known to drive out of our way five miles to save five cents on gas, I say this is a score!


Easy-Peasy Chicken Salad
makes 4-5 hearty servings
  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1 green onion, sliced (green parts only)
  • 1/4 cup Craisins
  • 3 heaping tbsp of mayo (or more, if preferred)
  • a sprinkling of Kosher salt
  • course ground pepper to taste
~ Stir together all ingredients and serve.

*For this recipe, I boil my chicken breasts in chicken base.  This one has become my 
  favorite as of late.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!